[Tutor] Fwd: Running shell command

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Fri May 30 20:06:19 CEST 2008

Curse my forgetting to reply to all!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: W W <srilyk at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Running shell command
To: Ricardo Dueñas Parada <rduenasp at gmail.com>

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Ricardo Dueñas Parada
<rduenasp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> How can I make that action more secure? Is there any way for running
> the program from a regular user (non su) without having the password
> within the code?
>
> _Ricardo

What type of system are you running? Ubuntu? Suse? Redhat? Or some Unix variety?

Most *nix variants have a sudo, which allows non-root users to run
commands as another user, most often a super-user (su).

Assuming you have root access, you could easily set up a specific user
account that has access to the smartctl command and nothing else
(above that of a regular user), which would basically allow for a more
secure method of running the script.

google sudo or sudoers, or type "man sudo" or "man sudoers" at the
command line for more help.

HTH,
Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being
called gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: