[Tutor] Debugging, other

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 20:08:50 CET 2008

Jennifer Miller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to step through with debugging in PythonWin, I have added
> this toolbar, but I cannot click on it as an option.
"cannot click on it" is pretty vague. Is your mouse broken? Or do you
mean that nothing happens when you click.
> Also, when I click run, to define the arguments, do I enter them in the format
> name, name?
the same as you would do at a command or shell prompt: name name
> Also, when I try to run my code, I get a message at the
> bottom of the screen that says, Failed to run script - syntax error -
> expected an indented block.
As Wayne said check the indentation. When you get a syntax error the
program failed to compile. It does not get to execute, so debugging is
not available.

The cursor should be on the line where the problem was detected.
> I am not sure where I am going wrong here
> - maybe if I could do the debugging, that would help.

Press shift-ctrl-C to error check the program. To set breakpoints: put
the cursor on a line then click the hand icon or press F9. Press F5 to
run the program, or F11 to start it and suspend at the first line.