[Tutor] How to check online status

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 17:12:07 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Timmie <timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:

> Dear fellow Pythonistas,
> is it possible to check with Python whether a computer is connected to the
> internet or not?

Yes. That's the short answer anyway.

> I don't not find a module which can do such a thing like 'ping'?

you could use the os module to execute the system command "ping"

> And how do I make my python scipts that use urllib to recognize the windows
> operating system proxy settings?

I'm not particularly sure, but at first glance
http://www.google.com/search?q=python+urllib+windows+proxy seems to have
some useful looking links.

> Thanks in advance and kind regards,
> Timmie

To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,
every vice, has found its defenders, its rhetoric, its ennoblement and
exaltation, but stupidity hasn't. - Primo Levi