[Tutor] please help with sqlite replace function

aivars aivars868 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 22:05:32 CET 2008

I am stuck now.

I have a sqlite database with a table calendar (which is an auxilary
calendar table containing dates, years, months, days)
>From sqlite prompt I can run the following query without any problem:

SELECT  replace( datums,'-','' ) FROM calendar where Y='2008' and M='5'

It gives me back date strings in the format YYYYMMDD.

But when I run it from the python script it gives me the following error:

sqlite3.OperationalError: no such function: replace.

Script is simple as follows:

import sqlite3
sql="SELECT  replace(datums,'-','') FROM Calendar where Y='2008' and M='5'"

for row in cn.execute(sql):
    print row[0]

When I run the script without the replace function in select statement
it runs OK.

I use python (activestate), WinXP, sqlite version 3.6.2

Thanks for any tip.
maybe I should ask this to sqlite mailing list?