[Tutor] Upgrading from Python 2.5 to Python 2.6 - IDLE not working...

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:28:53 CET 2008

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:34:54 -0500, Dan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is my first post, so I apologize in advance for any etiquette
> violations.
>
> I am interested in learning Python, and to that end, I undertook to
> upgrade my current version of Python 2.5 (available via openSUSE
> repositories and YaST) to Python 2.6.  I have Python 2.6 running
> (compiled from source [I'm not a total bonehead]) but idle gives me the
> following when I invoke it in bash:
>
> dan at linux-ypm1:~> idle
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/bin/idle", line 3, in <module> from idlelib.PyShell
>   import main
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/idlelib/PyShell.py", line 14, in
>   <module> import macosxSupport
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/idlelib/macosxSupport.py", line 6, in
> <module>
>   import Tkinter
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 39, in
>   <module> import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be
>   configured for Tk
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter dan at linux-ypm1:~>
>
> I thought of unistalling and reinstalling (using YaST) the associated
> Python packages to make them aware of the version change, but the Idle
> package says it requires Python 2.5.2, nothing more or less, so I didn't
> attempt it.
>
> Thanks in advance for your patience.
>
> Dan

FYI, I've got idle running with python2.6

Python 2.6 (r26:66714, Oct 19 2008, 19:48:03)

    Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE
    makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback
    interface.  This connection is not visible on any external
    interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet.