[Tutor] Question

Michael Connors connorsml at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:07:38 CET 2008

2008/11/10 W W <srilyk at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>
> What does nano do that vi (or emacs) doesn't? Given that vi is the
>> "standard" editor on *nix ity would seem the obvious choice. But everyone
>> seems to be using nano? Why?
>

> AFAIK, it's a little smaller/faster than emacs... but since I'm a vi(m)
> fan, I'm probably the wrong person for the question ;)

My guess is that, if you want to provide instructions to someone with no
linux/unix experience. e.g. to edit a config file, you can safely tell them
to: nano myfile.conf and expect them to be able to save the file and return
to the command line. If you want to give the same instructions using vim or
emacs, you would also need to specify how to save and exit. I imagine this
to be the reason it is popular in tutorials, and if all the tutorials you
use, use nano, you will probably use it too.

--
Michael Connors