[Tutor] import data (txt/csv) into list/array and manipulation

spir denis.spir at free.fr
Tue Nov 11 13:40:27 CET 2008

Triantafyllos Gkikopoulos a écrit :
 > Hi,
 >
 >  Thanks for the advice,
 >
 > I will do some more reading this week and look into your solution as
 > well as others.
 >
 >   So basicaly my data is enrichement signal on yeast genomic locations,
 > and want to map this signal in respect to genes, and the averagomg
 > question is so that I can averga signal if I align all the signal based
 > on the start of every gene.
 > I guess another solution is to create an array with zeros that covers
 > then entire genome and then I replace the zeros with actual signal (int)
 > values, then I be able to call for individual locations within this
 > array and maybe easier to do the averaging as well based on the
 > reference file.

There are numerous solutions for any problem. This one would be especially
non-pythonic, I guess ;-)
If I understand your problem:
* Locations are gene ids.
* They are key fields for your data -- strings and ints are not keys.
* There can be several data items for a unique id.
* Among the possible data, integers have to be processed (averaged).
* What about string?

If you want to be both pythonic and simple, as I see it, use a dict with
locations as keys. Now, the data seems to be mainly a list of ints. Right? So,
use a list for this, and add to it the relevant storing fields for additional
data (strings?), and the relevant method to average your integers. Example:

class GeneData(list):
	''' holds int values in basic list
		calculates average value
		stores additional string data
		'''
	def store_strings(self,strings):
		self.strings = strings
	def store_string(self,string):
		self.strings.append(string)
	def average(self):
		# record and/or return average, eg:
		sum = 0.0
		for i in self:
			sum += i
		self.avrg = sum/len(self)
		return self.avrg

gd = GeneData([1,2,3])
gd.append(4), gd.append(5)
x = gd.pop()
gd.store_strings(["string","data"])
gd.store_string("i'm relevant info")

print gd, gd.strings
print "average: %2.2f ; removed: %i" %(gd.average(), x)
==>
[1, 2, 3, 4] ['string', 'data', "i'm relevant info"]
average: 2.5 ; removed: 5

denis