[Tutor] experience/opinions with deploying python GUI app to Linux, Win32, and Mac OS X

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 04:31:11 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:03 PM, greg whittier <greg at thewhittiers.com>wrote:

> <snip>- web app running locally -- no experience with this, but everybody
> has a web browser and there are frameworks like django I could use
> - curses -- probably not as pretty as mac/windows users would expect

I'd probably roll with the web-app, especially if you're worried about it
looking "native". GTK can look like windows, but you mentioned difficulty on
macs. Of course I've never had my GTK apps /really/ look native on windows.

For the reason you mentioned, I probably wouldn't use curses, unless you're
not worried about it looking particularly "pretty".

However, with some type of web framework, you can easily make it look the
same cross-platform, with minimal maintenance and customizing (mainly only
required if you use CSS and any client runs IE).

Anyhow, that's just my 2¢
-Wayne