[Tutor] Converting EBCDIC characters to ASCII

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:36:21 CET 2008

Steve Bricker wrote:
> I see the scenario does not give enough to really allow someone to
> formulate an answer.

An excellent reminder to write no code until the user's requirements are
fully understood!

OTOH a little rapid prototyping can be a fast path to discovery of
requirements.

> Allow me to clarify a bit.  The three PD fields are each 10 positions
> in length.  Using the example below, a field with
> X'0000000000000000014C' would need to be expanded to a 19-character
> field of '0000000000000000014'.

So you are going to ignore the sign nibble?
Modify the code I wrote - ignore the sign; treat results as positive.
At the end add "%019i" % value