[Tutor] python reverse engineering tools

amit sethi amit.pureenergy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 05:57:53 CET 2008

Well actually there was an interesting tool i discovered, Lumpy .
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/swampy/lumpy.html
which was developed with the intention of being a teaching tool.
Although it would be a nice idea if the people in this list evaluate
it and give their response because I as a beginner don't think  can
comment on its effectiveness.

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com>wrote:

> "amit sethi" <amit.pureenergy at gmail.com> wrote
>
>  Can somebody tell me about any python to UML reverse engineering tools .
>>

> I can't help wit the specific but I can give a word of caution on
> reverse engineering from code to UML - don't expect too much!
>
> The problem is that in a dynamic language it is very hard
> for the reverse engineering to determine types of attributes
> etc so everything tends to end up pointing at object - the
> common superclass. That results in class diagrams that
> are less than meaningful and an unreadable mess of
> spaghetti pointing to one place.
>
> Actually this tends to happen even on well designed
> static language programs too since most OOP interrfaces
> should be defined in terms of superclasses. UML to code
> works well because the designer controls the connectivity
> in the diagram, code to UML  tends to be less successful
> in my experience (Lisp, Smalltalk and C++) and leaves
> almost as much work as manually reverse engineering.
>
> However if you do find something that works please
> let us know!
>
> --
> Alan Gauld
> Author of the Learn to Program web site