[Tutor] Python GIL

OkaMthembo zebra05 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 22:26:13 CET 2008

Hi all,

I wish to find out what the Global Interpreter Lock is and its relevance
regarding the serving of high traffic Python sites. My understanding from
what i read is that its a state whereby only one interpreter can be invoked
on a physical machine. How does this impact performance of web apps that
receive a high rate of requests? Do scripts wait in some marshalled queue
for a certain period until their turn to be interpreted, or can multiple
simultaneous requests be processed in parallel by the Python interpreter?

Please clear my confusion regarding this topic. Any explanation would be
appreciated.

Best regards,

--
Lloyd Dube