[Tutor] How trustworthy are pseudo-random numbers?

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 17:32:46 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Luke Paireepinart
<rabidpoobear at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is your math correct?  That's ridiculously large.

1 year equals 3600 * 24 * 365 makes about 3*10^8 seconds.
The universe is about 15.000.000.000 years old, that's about 5*10^17 seconds.
With 1 billion combinations per second, each computer does 5*10^26
combinations in that time.
There are something like 10^70 or 10^72 particles in the universe,
thus N is about 10^100, give or take a factor of thousand or so.
N2 is equal to 5*10^17 * N * N, which we will round up to 10^220.
N3 by that same calculation will be about 10^460.
The unnamed last number that way becomes something like 10^940 (in
reality, because of all the rounding up, more like 10^930). That's
less than 1/10^600 of 10^1600 - I'd say that's dwarved by any
definition of the word.