[Tutor] IF statements

WM WFERGUSON1 at SOCAL.RR.COM
Mon Oct 6 04:51:53 CEST 2008

I used to do Basic and enjoyed it.  Someone said Python was a vastly
better language than Visual Basic, which I considered playing with.  So
I sought to give it a go but struck a sticking point very early.
I am now going through the Python tutorial.  All went well until I came
to IF.  The code below was not written by me.  It is a copy/paste job
from the tutor.  I do not have any idea what is going wrong.

IDLE 2.6

 >>> x = int(raw_input("Please enter an integer: "))
Please enter an integer: 42
 >>> if x < 0:
...      x = 0
...      print 'Negative changed to zero'
... elif x == 0:
...      print 'Zero'
... elif x == 1:
...      print 'Single'