[Tutor] Using the curses module (or a better solution)

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 00:58:15 CEST 2008

I'm maintaining a framework of tests which are run on a diskless Linux
client, in character mode (no graphical desktop).

The tests often print out a lot of info, which scrolls off the screen.

I'd like to add a 1-2 line no-scroll-area at the top of the screen, so as to
print a message which indicates the progress of the current test.

I am thinking about using the Python curses module for this, unless someone
would suggest an alternative solution, although I'm not sure if the curses
module
has this non-scroll area capability.

http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/curses/

Ideally I'd like something which works on Windows & Linux, but since the
test environment on Linux is non-graphical, packages like WxPython can't be
used.

Thanks