[Tutor] cx_oracle module problems

Hansen, Mike Mike.Hansen at atmel.com
Tue Oct 7 23:48:50 CEST 2008

>>Got it. Thanks.
>>When i try 'python setup.py build' i get the following error.
>>$ sudo python setup.py build
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "setup.py", line 72, in <module>
>>   raise DistutilsSetupError, "cannot locate an Oracle software
>>distutils.errors.DistutilsSetupError: cannot locate an Oracle software
>This means you don't have Oracle installed, or setup.py can't find it.
I'm guessing that you'll need to install the .deb file from this site.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

There's installation instructions for Debian(Which I believe Ubuntu is
derived from) here:

After the client is installed, then hopefully you can build and
install the cx_oracle module.

Good luck. If you get stuck maybe someone else can pipe in. Unless
it's something simple, I usually have trouble if a package is unable
to install due to some missing library or what not.