[Tutor] Learning to extract information from ABAQUS .dat and .rpt files using Python

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Oct 15 13:02:02 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Telmo Andres Sanchez
<telmoandres at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to post
> process data obtained after running a FEM in ABAQUS. The requested results
> are usually printed to the .dat file or .rpt file. I would like to learn how
> to extract the information that I need (i.e. displacements and stresses at
> the nodes) from this file using Python. The fact is that I am kind of new at
> ABAQUS and have zero knowledge about Python. Therefore, any help with
> websites, examples, tutorials, etc. would be appreciated.

You should start reading one of the Python beginners tutorials listed here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

Pay particular attention to the section about reading files.

When you are comfortable with the basics then show us what you are
trying to do in more detail.

I see that Abaqus is scriptable in Python; that may give you a better
way to proceed than trying to parse the output file. I can't find any
info online about this however so the help we can give may be limited
unless there is another Abaqus user on this list. You might also try
the Abaqus list at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ABAQUS/

Kent