[Tutor] Looking for Clues to Make a Program Produce avi Files Instead ...

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:24:25 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> ... of mov files. (See Subject). Our meteor software program uses a py
> program to produce a movie from images taken by an all-sky camera. The
> frames are in a simple but different format than likely used anywhere
> else. From these, it produces a mov file. As I understand it, mov
> files are used by QuickTime. If easily done, I'd like to produce avi
> files instead. Perhaps someone might be able to give me a clue if it's
> possible to modify this program for avi. Maybe there's a program that
> translates mov files to avi?

Sure is, ffmpeg and mencoder are two most used video converter[1]. And
since they are based on command-line that means your python program only
need to use the subprocess module to control them (in fact, many free
and paid video encoder/converter is merely a GUI for ffmpeg or mencoder
or both).

[1] The term "converter" is an understatement compared to what they can
do
[2] ffmpeg's page: http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/
[3] mencoder's page: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html