[Tutor] Difficult loop?

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Thu Oct 16 01:58:51 CEST 2008

2008/10/16 Emad Nawfal (عماد نوفل) <emadnawfal at gmail.com>:
> The focus  letter will always be # 6 on the line. A is not a short vowel,
> and it is not followed by a short vowel, so the last character should be
> "_", not a "u"

Oh, I see.  I misunderstood the meaning of "followed by".  I can fix
that by changing one function in my code:

def nextSV(s, idx):
    """ Find the next short vowel, or ~ + short vowel.

    s :: string to search
    idx :: index to start from

    Return: short vowel, or ~ + short vowel, or _ if no following short vowel.
    """

    try:
        if s[idx+1] in shortVowels:
            return s[idx+1]
        elif s[idx+1] == double:
            return s[idx+1:idx+3]
        else:
            return '_'
    except IndexError:
        return '_'

> The purpose of this program is to calculate vector similarities in the
> context of the letters in a machine learning approach called "Memory-based
> learning"

I did wonder what it was for ;-)

--
John.