[Tutor] Concatenation vs formatting

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 19:51:19 CEST 2008

Richard Lovely wrote:
> Just a couple of quick questions:
> What differences are there in efficency (i.e. time and memory) between
> string concatenation ("foo" + "bar") and printf style formatting
> ("%s%s" % ("foo","bar")).
> Is there any place where one is better than the othe
concatenation should be more efficient as formatting takes 4 more
bytecodes than concatenation, one of which is binary_format which will
take more execution time.

However unless your application does many of those it is not worth the
effort to choose one over the other. I almost always favor formatting as
it is so much easier to read, maintain and extend.

Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC

When we take the time to be aware of our feelings and
needs we have more satisfying interatctions with others.

Nonviolent Communication provides tools for this awareness.

As a coach and trainer I can assist you in learning this process.

What is YOUR biggest relationship challenge?