[Tutor] Problems starting python

arsyed arsyed at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 02:10:47 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Linus Lindström <linus_8989 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. When i first installed python from the cd i bought it seemed to work
> perfectly... But then when i cancel the program and try to start it again I
> get the message: "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection. Either IDLE
> can't start a subprocess or a personal firewall software is blocking the
> connection.", and the problem still stands... I've tried to completely shut
> down my firewall but without success... Please help me!

A little googling reveals a possible fix below; I'm not sure I get it
though.  If this fails, you can try running idle with the "-n" flag,
which avoids running a subprocess.

--- from http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CC/CSILPC/kip.html#s2-20

IDLE (Python GUI) won't start! What should I do?

    Sometimes when IDLE starts, it prompts the following error message:

          Subprocess Startup Error: IDLE's subprocess didn't make
connection. Either IDLE can't start a subprocess or personal firewall
software is blocking the connection.

    Here is the workaround (a fix is under research):

        * launch Windows Explorer
        * find (or create) a file with .py extension
        * right click this file, select "Edit with IDLE"

    Now, the IDLE (Python GUI) should start.