[Tutor] ways to sync databases with Python and SQLite?

Che M pine508 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 10 00:56:37 CEST 2008

Hi list,

I have been trying to create a small desktop application with Python
that uses a small SQLite database.  Recently I've got use of a 2nd computer
(for my job) and have thought now about using the app on that one as well.

I'd like to get ideas about how I could extend the application so that the
databases on each computer could be kept "synchronized" (not sure that is
the right term here); that is, each new change on either computer would
be updated on the other computer(s), given a bit of help from the user.

I know that, for example, the Chandler PIM has a "hub" that allows sync'ing across
multiple computers (though I was surprised to see it is a 8 step process for the user:
http://chandlerproject.org/Projects/GetStarted#Sync%20Chandler%20Desktop%20across%20Mul )

(I realize a good way to do all of this is entirely as a web service, but that is beyond
my abilities, and I am trying to just complete a desktop app before learning much of that)

So, if anyone has ideas on ways to do this with Python and Sqlite that are:
- fairly simple (I'm not a real programmer)
- not laborious for the user to do (so that they actually keep the two dbs in sync)
I'd love to hear about it.