[Tutor] Win32 extensions

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 14 00:39:05 CEST 2008

"Omer" <Jaggojaggo+Py at gmail.com> wrote

>> You can buy a set of libraries from a comany called Bristol
>> Technology (I think, it's over 8 years since I used it!) that
>> allows
>> you to build Windows software on a Unix box. A bit like cygwin
>
> Errm, What'd be the difference between this and WINE ?

WINE lets you run windows programs but not develop them.
ie. WINE doesn't include all the header files etc

Bristol supplies the development libraries needed to build
and run native Windows apps on Unix not just the DLLs needed
to run software built on Windows

Note that for Python programs for Windows these are not needed
they are only for programs/DLLs written in C/C++. I suspect Python
code using the Win32 extensions or ctypes would work OK under
WINE.

HTH,

Alan G.