[Tutor] Practice exercise sources

btkuhn at email.unc.edu btkuhn at email.unc.edu
Mon Sep 15 02:19:57 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

I'm new to programming and have been learning Python as suggested by a
friend as a good language to start with. I bought the "Learning Python"
book from O'Reilly and I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I've also
read through 2 intro tutorials on the web. At this point, I understand
the basics of lists, functions, objects, etc. and can code to solve
simple problems. However, I'm finding that learning programming is like
learning math: you can't learn simply reading the book - solving
problems is what reinforces the material and helps you remember it, and
teaches you to solve problems creatively. The book (although very
comprehensive) doesn't have many problems, and the tutorials I've found
only have basic exercises that illustrate the point they are making.

I've read through some of the archives on this list and this is
somewhat helpful as far as providing unique problems, but I guess what
I'm looking for is a database/list of problems to solve, with answers
that you can look at after you've had a go, so that you can see what
the "expert" would have done. Kind of akin to the problems at the end
of the chapter in a math textbook, with solutions in the back. Can
anyone point me towards a good resource?

Thanks very much,
Ben