[Tutor] WMI

Steve Willoughby steve at alchemy.com
Wed Sep 17 19:47:20 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:37:39AM -0600, Spencer Parker wrote:
> Yes...you do have it all correct.  Luckily this is all behind a private
> network that is firewalled.  There is no way to get to this network unless
> you are physically on site.  Since there isn't even VPN access to this
> network currently.  This was done for the security problems associated with
> random scripts running that do dangerous things like this.  Most of this is
> done with SSH on the linux side...which I am going to stick with on the
> windows side.  I setup and SSH server running on the windows controller.  It
> is working for the most part now.

Unfortunately your most significant threat to system security usually
comes from inside your firewall... disgruntled employees, or employees who
compromise something by mistake, or by using a compromised PC (virus, anyone?)
or a coding error or any of many other things.  It's your system, but
"I have a firewall" has been said by many people in the past who ended up
learning a valuable, if painful, lesson in writing secure applications.