[Tutor] clearing lines for a 'front end' to a tool

W W srilyk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 00:51:46 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:20 PM, James <jtp at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Kent,
>
> Thanks for the response. As a personal opinion, do you find it more
> appropriate to use something like curses (since it's already built
> into the standard Python library), or to use something "third party"
> like urwid?
>
> This program will be distributed to lots of individuals that will
> likely not have urwid installed right off the bat.
>
> I find the Python curses documentation to be...lacking at best. ;)
> Thus the only benefit I see to curses over urwid is that it is already
> "built-in" to Python.

Well, assuming they are all running this on linux, then that's probably a
fair concern. If they're not going to be running it on linux they'll have
problems either way.

I had at one point found a pretty decent seeming curses tutorial, and as far
as I can tell it should be fairly trivial to create what you want using only
curses.

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Python/PyCurses.pdf

actually, IIRC, I downloaded some windows version of curses and ps ax since
I happened to be on a windows box at the time, and it worked pretty swell.

When I asked for help learning curses, most people said "Why bother? Just
learn urwid". But I'm a stubborn sort and like to re-invent the wheel, as it
were. Mainly because I'm currently in school and have nothing "better" to do
with my time ;)

Still, curses is fairly straightforward (at least so far as I've learned
it), and you probably wouldn't spend much more time learning/writing a
curses program than learning/writing an urwid program to do what you want.
Unless you just adapt Kent's code.

HTH,
Wayne