[Tutor] Miles Per Gallon Calculator`

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:23:52 CEST 2008

iannaconec at optonline.net wrote:
> When <variable> = raw_input ( " please enter a number " )
> <variable> = int  (<variable>) is run as part of a python script It
> should take in the user stored input and store it as an integer. Am I
> correct. The string represented by <variable> in memory is now
> represented by 5 for example?
> If this is correct why do I get an error regarding the division of two
> strings if i type print " < variable> " / < variable>

Please make life easier for all of us by posting real code and real
error messages. For example:

 >>> a = "cat"
 >>> b = 1
 >>> print a/b
Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for /: 'str' and 'int'

Bob Gailer
Chapel Hill NC

When we take the time to be aware of our feelings and
needs we have more satisfying interatctions with others.

Nonviolent Communication provides tools for this awareness.

As a coach and trainer I can assist you in learning this process.

What is YOUR biggest relationship challenge?