[Tutor] Web programming advice

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Fri Sep 19 19:37:54 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Patrick <optomatic at rogers.com> wrote:
> According to this article there have been changes to 350K lines of code in
> Django:
> http://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2008/sep/03/1/

Note there are also 40,000 lines of new documentation.

> I am sure this is an awesomely powerful framework but how the hell does
> anyone understand the magic under the cover with so many lines of code? Are
> you really programming in Python or are you programming in Django now?

You don't have to understand all the magic under the hood. You start here:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/

You can dig into the details of the framework as needed, you don't
have to understand the internals to use it.

> Please also watch this youtube episode, a talk by Turbogears Mark Ramm:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipFKyW2FA4&feature=PlayList&p=D415FAF806EC47A1&index=12
>
> Check out the dependency graph for Django, it gives me chills.
>
> After I learn WSGI I can program without dependencies

Yes, if you are willing to roll your own code for everything you need.
The reason the frameworks are popular is that they solve many problems
that are common to many web apps.

Kent