[Tutor] Web programming advice

Jan Ulrich Hasecke juhasecke at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 20 13:51:32 CEST 2008

Am 20.09.2008 um 00:01 schrieb Alan Gauld:

> "Patrick" <optomatic at rogers.com> wrote
>
>> is of paramount importance. It appears to me that Django is an all-
>> in-one monolithic application. Years ago Zope was the number 1 and
>> now it's basically gone.
>
> Zope is still around but it has retreated into something of a niche
> where it offers its own unique advantages, namely very large,
> high volume sites. Zope is, I believe, also the engine underneath
> Plone which is in itself something of a niche market content
> management system.

Zope has not retreated into a niche, but has heavily evolved from the
technical point of view in the last years. With the new component
architecture Zope makes it more easy to develop and maintain huge and
complex mission-critical webapplications. You can glue your
applications together either with an explicit configuration language
called ZCML or within a convention-over-configuration framework
called Grok. With Grok it is very easy to start Zope development. The
greates advantage of Zope is beside security, security and security
the fact that there is a huge library of ready-to-use components to
develop your custom application. And Zope has an object database,
with which you can even develop outside Zope.

There are some very huge installations out there and the Zope
community is still alive.

Plone is not a niche CMS, but the leading Python CMS if not the
leading Open Source CMS around. This has been stated lately by
CMSWatch. There is a very vibrant Plone community, which develops and
maintains Plone. So check it out at http://plone.org

The further development of Zope and Plone is secured and guided by
the Zope Foundation and the Plone Foundation.

So the answer to the OP is: Try out Grok to start with Zope. It is
great!

grok.zope.org

Cheers!
juh