[Tutor] array and dictionary

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 21 10:15:00 CEST 2008

"Dinesh B Vadhia" <dineshbvadhia at hotmail.com> wrote

> Hi!  Say, I've got a numpy array/matrix of the form:
>
> [[1 6 1 2 3]
>  [4 5 4 7 0]...
>  [2 1 0 5 6]]
>
> I want to create a dictionary of rows (as the keys) mapped
> to lists of non-zero numbers in that row

Caveat, I dont know about numpy arrays.But assuming they
act like Python lists

You can get the non zeros with a comprehension

nz = [n for n in row if n != 0]

you can get the row and index using enumerate

for n,r in enumerate(arr):

So to create a dictionary, combine the elements somethng like:

d ={}
for n,r in enumerate(arr):
    d[n] = [v for v in r if v !=0]

I'm sure you could do it all in one line if you really wanted to!
Also the new any() function might be usable too.

All untested....

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld