[Tutor] Text Scatter Plots?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 29 16:13:10 CEST 2008

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote
> Is there a text graphics module that does say scatter plots or
> histograms?
> I'm thinking of stuff prior to the graphics era of computing.

Not that I'm aware of.
The best I can think of is to use curses - see a recent thread.

Other than that you can create a 2D table in memory then
dump that to a text based screen.

Best I can think of.

There wasn't much prior to graphics in computing, even many of the
earliest computer programs produced graphs, it was just that they
did it on paper. Remember the earliest keyboards were attached to
printers so most early graphics programs simply printed a dot matrix
pattern to the printer.

The plot utility can stuill do that today. And Gnuplot - for which
there is a Python interface - is a souped up version that can
display on graphics terminals too.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site

I'm looking for something really simple.