[Tutor] Import Modules

Giorgio Bonfiglio gg.labs10 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:40:31 CEST 2009

hope this mailing list is still active.

I'm learning phyton. I can write simple programs, and i've studied all
examples provided by the Google App Engine Documentation.

As i understood, i can import a module using something like:

import modulename

Or, import a specific function, using:

from modulename import functionname

Ok, now let's look at the first example provided by google:

I can see those lines:

from google.appengine.ext import webapp
from google.appengine.ext.webapp.util import run_wsgi_app

The first line imports the webapp subpackage (that is not actually a module,
it's a subdirectory with some .py files into). So why do i need to import
the specific function in the second line? Does'nt it get imported in the

Thankyou for your help.