[Tutor] how to compile python3.0

A.T.Hofkamp a.t.hofkamp at tue.nl
Fri Apr 24 12:57:37 CEST 2009

Shaofeng NIu wrote:
> I tried to compile and install python3.0 from source,but after "make",it shows:
>
> Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were not found:
> _dbm               _gdbm              _hashlib
> _sqlite3           _ssl               _tkinter
> bz2                readline
> To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.
>
> Could anybody tell me how to install these modules?Thank you!
> My OS is Ubuntu 8.10

In Python 2.X, modules are skipped when you do not have the necessary
libraries and headers installed.
Assuming the same happens with Python 3.0, the solution would be to install
the libraries and headers needed by the above modules before compiling Python 3.0.

These libraries and headers are available as seperate "XYZ-devel" packages for
your OS.

W.r.t. what libraries/packages you really need, some of them are guessable,
bz2 eg will  probably need a bz2-devel or a bzip2-devel package, etc.

Others may be more difficult to guess
For those, you may want to examine the function mentioned in the output to
understand what libraries/headers it is missing.

Note that different linuces use slightly different names to refer to some
library, so the names may not match exactly.

Albert