[Tutor] finding mismatched or unpaired html tags

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Apr 28 16:13:43 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Dinesh B Vadhia
<dineshbvadhia at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm processing tens of thousands of html files and a few of them contain
> mismatched tags and ElementTree throws the error:
>
> "Unexpected error opening J:/F2/663/blahblah.html: mismatched tag: line 124,
> column 8"
>
> I now want to scan each file and simply identify each mismatched or unpaired
> tags (by line number) in each file.  I've read the ElementTree docs and
> cannot see anything obvious how to do this.  I know this is a common problem
> but feeling a bit clueless here - any ideas?

It seems like the exception gives you the line number. What kind of
exception is raised? The exception object may contain the line and
column in a more accessible form, so you could catch the exception,
get the line number, then read that line out of the file and show it.

Kent