[Tutor] Configuaration files and paths?

Allen Fowler allen.fowler at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 01:14:24 CEST 2009

Hello,

What is the recommended way to configure my application find the various database and/or configuration files it needs?

For instance my folder layout:

/path_to_app/app.py
/path_to_app/lib/
/path_to_app/database/
/path_to_app/config/
/path_to_app/photos

.... and so on.  (app.py being the main file, and the lib folder containing my custom modules.)

I would like to make an .ini in the config folder that contains entries that point to the other folders.  Seems like a resonable idea.

So my questions are:

1) How does my main app file find the config file in the first place?

2) How should I point to those other folders in the ini file?

Thank you