[Tutor] python and java report writers

Oxymoron moron.oxy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 22:08:15 CEST 2009

(Posting to list!)

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:01 AM, John<jfabiani at yolo.com> wrote:

> First I love your handle.  And second, thanks for taking the time to explain

:-)

> jython world.  But I was really looking for a simple way of calling a report
> writer (like using a com object) to print a report.  At this point in the
> project changing to jython is not going to be considered.  We are using to
> many modules and I'm sure we will run into something.

I wasn't suggesting changing everything to Jython - I actually meant
something similar, i.e. write the reporting component in Jython (this
really depends on where you get your data from I suppose, if it's all
code generated may be more tricky, but for a DB-based thing, not so).
You could then treat the jython/java mini-reporting-app as a blackbox.
It's not COM perhaps, but plain IPC should do.

> It looks like we are stuck with either reportlab or using something like
> openoffice's uno.

They may be a simpler solution if it amounts to the same thing.

-- Kamal

--
There is more to life than increasing its speed.
 -- Mahatma Gandhi