[Tutor] python and java report writers

John jfabiani at yolo.com
Tue Aug 18 00:50:45 CEST 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 01:08:15 pm Oxymoron wrote:
> (Posting to list!)
>
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:01 AM, John<jfabiani at yolo.com> wrote:
> > First I love your handle.  And second, thanks for taking the time to
> > explain
> >
> :-)
> :
> > jython world.  But I was really looking for a simple way of calling a
> > report writer (like using a com object) to print a report.  At this point
> > in the project changing to jython is not going to be considered.  We are
> > using to many modules and I'm sure we will run into something.
>
> I wasn't suggesting changing everything to Jython - I actually meant
> something similar, i.e. write the reporting component in Jython (this
> really depends on where you get your data from I suppose, if it's all
> code generated may be more tricky, but for a DB-based thing, not so).
> You could then treat the jython/java mini-reporting-app as a blackbox.
> It's not COM perhaps, but plain IPC should do.
>
> > It looks like we are stuck with either reportlab or using something like
> > openoffice's uno.
>
> They may be a simpler solution if it amounts to the same thing.
>
> -- Kamal

I don't know enough about jython to understand what has to be done.  Let's say
I can write the code to retrieve the data in cPython.  And I can write a
module in jython that will accept the data passing it on to the report
writer.  How can I call the jython program?  It can't be called from the
cPython program - right?  So the jython runs stand alone - right?

IPC = Inter-process communication - right?  Does that mean I need to write
some sort of server?

Johnf