[Tutor] simple plots

Che M pine508 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 22 04:00:14 CEST 2009

> I would like to make some simple plots using matplotlib (or any python plotting
> modules) and I can find lots of examples that generate random data and then
> plot those, but I cannot find any that read in data from excel or a text file,
> manipulate the data and then plot the data. Does anyone have any examples
> for this or webpages I could go to?

Keep in mind, too, that in terms of matplotlib, for simple plots all you need to
feed the plot() function is a list of x points and a list of y points.  Sometimes
the demos on their web page might seem to obscure this for beginners because
of the fancy math functions that make pretty plots, but that's all you need:
two lists.

Getting those two lists of points is what you are really concerned about, as
Kent indicated, and so this is not really a matplotlib concern.  And as he said,
Python has lots of good support for that.

Che