[Tutor] Python equivalent to Matlab keyboard function

Tim Goddard timgoddardsemail at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 17:10:46 CET 2009

This is probably an easy one.

When I was writing Matlab m-files, I really enjoyed the ability to
stop the code to check how values were being stored or to 'step' into
a function with the keyboard function.

I have numerous 'environments'? as part of Python (x,y) including
IDLE, Eclipse, and Spyder.

I know that Spyder is very Matlab esque, but I prefer to use Eclipse
as my programs up to this point have not been mathematics based.

To do what I want In Spyder I paste a portion of my program and click
the run icon.  The interactive console then allows me to proceed
through the next lines manually so that I can get real-time feedback.
This is really helpful in understanding what I'm doing with OOP as I'm
learning from a book and would like to follow along just like it is
written which is usually a few lines at a time.

Is there a way in Eclipse to do the same thing so I am not switching
between environments?  When I try the same thing it just terminates at
the end of the code.

(I am following the learning python for absolute beginners book.  I
love Python btw, it is very easy to use IMO, and has the muscle to do
some really cool things.)