[Tutor] Python at my work

Wayne Werner waynejwerner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:52:15 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:22 AM, <skrabbit at comcast.net> wrote:

> Is Python easier to learn that Perl? When we get new developers into
> our group, the new developer will need to get up to speed on the tools
> in our arsenal.

I haven't had any experience with teaching myself Perl, but I would say yes
based on what I do know.

One of Perl's philosophies is that there are more than one way to do one
thing. Python's philosophy is that there really should be one obvious way of
doing something. And from my minimal experience with reading Perl code (and
a few modifications) and decent experience reading (and modifying) other's
Python code, Python is tremendously easier - especially on those new to the
language.

Here's an interesting source:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PerlPhrasebook

HTH,
Wayne

--
To be considered stupid and to be told so is more painful than being called
gluttonous, mendacious, violent, lascivious, lazy, cowardly: every weakness,