[Tutor] computer basics

GilJohnson x7-g5W_rt at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 29 18:39:53 CET 2009

Richard Hultgren <hultgren1946 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> I am learning Python slowly.  I would like to begin learning all about how
> computers work from the bottom up.  I have an understanding of binary code.
> Where should I go from here; can you suggest continued reading, on line or
> off to continue my education?

Richard,

I learned a lot from Randall Hyde's book:

Write Great Code: Volume 1: Understanding the Machine

Also, take a look at his website:

http://homepage.mac.com/randyhyde/webster.cs.ucr.edu/

There is a lot of information from "Understanding the Machine" in
"The Art of Assembly"

The online version is not the final, published version, he notes that
the hardcopy has been through the proofing process.

Either or both books would give you a lot of information, I'd make the
choice based on your interest in assembly.

Hope this helps,
Gil