[Tutor] Sort of database & "family tree" question

Timo timomlists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 18:58:51 CET 2009

Alan Gauld schreef:
> Timo  wrote
>
>> So my entry's look like this (more or less ;)):
>> [person1]
>> firstName = foo
>> lastName = bar
>> father = person2
>> mother = person3
>
> And I assume you are reading these into a Person class and
> storing these classes in a persons dictionary? Then to access
> a father becomes:
>
> x = 'Person5'
> print Persons[x].father.firstName

Can you explain this a little more for me please?

The current way of reading the data is this:

parser = ConfigParser.ConfigParser()
parser.read(personFile)

def get_info(person)
    infoDic = {}
    infoDic['first']      = parser.get(person, 'firstName')
    infoDic['last']       = parser.get(person, 'lastName')
    infoDic['father']   = parser.get(person, 'father')
    infoDic['mother'] = parser.get(person, 'mother')
    return infoDic

But maybe it can be done better.

Timo