[Tutor] Install/upgrade question

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Feb 5 18:48:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 12:06 PM,  <cclpianos at comcast.net> wrote:

> My main question is "How do I get the downloaded version to replace what's
> on my system?

Don't; leave the system copy alone, there are system components that use it.

> As it is, I can open the IDLE and it verifies I have installed version 2.61.
> But when I run a dir() request it spouts the version is 2.3. Confusing...

I don't understand that; what is a dir() request? What is spouting?
Please be more specific and show the actual text.

> Further I DL'ed the .tar which decompressed to a .dmg file. The 2.61 folder
> is currently on my Desktop, where I process most of my downloads.

Do you mean the installed Python in on your desktop, or the .dmg file,
or what? It should not install to the desktop.

> And finally, this is amazing stuff.

Yes :-)

Kent