[Tutor] IDLE

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 11 10:33:42 CET 2009

"WM." <wferguson1 at socal.rr.com> wrote

> Allen G.asked me how I made IDLE work. I did nothing on purpose. One
> can open Python into the IDLE window or into the program window.

I assume you mean the editor window?

Yes that will produce proper indentation, it is only the shell window
that
is broken because the >>> prompt produces an offset in the first line.

> changed from the program window to the IDLE window. IDLE now works
> exactly right.

Except you don't evaluate the expressions as you type them which
is what tbe shell window does... You need to run the program.

> As a bonus my DOS-idle window which used to produce error messages
> now works like a Trojan, also.

I don't know what you mean by the dos-idle window?

Alan G.