[Tutor] Python & MySQL... Define port.

wormwood_3 wormwood_3 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 05:57:52 CET 2009

Hello,

You can specify the port of the instance you want to connect to simply by passing "port=NUM" in MySQLdb.connect(). Here is a formulation I have found generally useful:

import MySQLdb

def run_mysql(query, db, user, passwd, port=3306, socket="/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock", host="localhost"):
    """Runs query passed with connection info passed, returns results."""
    try:
        db = MySQLdb.connect(user=user, passwd=passwd, db=db, port=port, unix_socket=socket, host=host)
    except MySQLdb.Error, e:
        raise e
    cursor = db.cursor()
    cursor.execute(query)
    data = cursor.fetchall()
    db.close()
    return data

This sets common defaults, but you can of course pass in whatever you want when you call it.

You might also want to check out the MySQLdb docs: http://mysql-python.sourceforge.net/MySQLdb.html. It contains a number of examples.

Samuel Huckins

Homepage - http://samuelhuckins.com
Tech blog - http://dancingpenguinsoflight.com/
Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/samuelhuckins/
AIM - samushack | Gtalk - samushack | Skype - shuckins