[Tutor] Loops

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 14 01:52:11 CET 2009

"pa yo" <payo2000 at gmail.com> wrote

> The way I have come up with to solve this problem is to put the
> following loop in:
>
>>> rawfeed = feedparser(http//twitter.com/foobar....)
>>> feedstring = rawfeed.split('=',1)        #this splits the feed at
>>> the first "="
>>> headline = feedstring[0]                    #this is the text
>>> infront of the "=" sign.
>>> if len(headlinestring) == len(rawfeed)    #ie. if the split hasn't
>>> worked they will be exactly the same >>>     body =
>>> "\x7b\x7bEmpty\x7d\x7d"        #this adds an "{{Empty}}" template
>>> to the wiki
>>> else:
>>>     body = feedstring[1]

Sorry, where is the loop?

> But I can't get it to work - I have tried various indents and break
> and continues - but I don't know enough about loops to identify what
> have done wrong.

I'm confused, there is no loop only a conditional statement (if/else)
The only loops supported in Python are for and while (OK you
could count list comprehensions/generator expressions too) and
neither of them are in your code.

However you don't tell us what is happening that you don;t expect.
Are you getting an error message? If so what (all of it please)?
Or is it just the output that is different to what you expect?
if so what did you expect and what did you get?

And finally which version of Python and which OS please?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site