[Tutor] General Feedback, Script Structure

Damon Timm damontimm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 19:01:06 CET 2009

Hi Kent - thanks for taking a look!  Follow-up below:

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
> - put the main code in a main() function rather than splitting it
> across the file.

That's a good idea - I will do that.  Is it proper to create a def
main() or just under: if __name__ == "__main__"

> - the use of tmpfile is awkward, can you make the gmailme script take
> its input in strings?

that gmail script needs an actual file to attach ... or rather, the
location of a file to attach ... would have to change something so it
could take text that it could save as a file.  but that would probably
be better.

> - I would use plain positional parameters to getMessage(), rather than
> supplying defaults.
> - the status dict could be built once, containing just the format strings, e.g.
> status = dict(
>  TestMessage = "This was a crazy test message! Woo hoo!",
>  RebuildStarted = "The rebuilding of %(mddevice)s has begun!",
>  # etc
> }
>
> then you can build the message as
> body = status.get(event, nomatch) % vars()
> message = header + body + footer

That last part I am not so clear on ... how does: body =
status.get(event, nomatch) % vars() work ?  Does it say, first look
for "event" as a key and then, if it doesn't find a match with event,,
use the "nomatch" key ?  I was trying to do something like that but
couldn't figure out how to make it work ...

Thanks!