[Tutor] *nix tail -f multiple log files with Thread

David david at abbottdavid.com
Mon Feb 16 17:13:38 CET 2009

Bill Campbell wrote:

> The ``swatch'' program, written in perl, does this by using the
> gnu-tail program via a pipe using.
>
> 	gtail --follow=name --lines=1 file1 file2 ...
>
> Use the source Luke.
>
> Bill

Thanks Bill,
That looks like the right tool for the job at hand. Looking at setting
up the configuration file, a stumbling block in my learning to program
is my lack of a good understanding of regular expressions. I have
started studying grep, sed and awk. It is a lot more fun to just write
little python programs and watch in amazement when they work as
expected. I have been avoiding this phase of learning.
-david