[Tutor] exec "self.abc=22" ?

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 09:48:00 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> My limited repertoire. Actually, there wasn't much of a traceback. It came
> up in a small OK dialog. I copied what I could.  I see my image I used above
> did make it to the list, so here's the skinny.
>

> I see Marc covered it with setattr. How does one do it with a dictionary?
> What else lurks out there that might be useful along these lines?

It all depends on what you will use it for. As said, exec should work,
but it usually is not the way to go - if there's outside input
involved, it's _extremely_ unsafe, if everything comes from inside
your program it's an ugly sledgehammer to crack a nut. So please take
one step back - WHY do you want to do this? Where does this string
"self.abc = 22" come from? What are the values it can have? Can you
create a toy example that shows the problem you want to solve?

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com