[Tutor] Add readline capabilities to a Python build 2.6 on Ubuntu

زياد بن عبدالعزيز البا زياد بن عبدالعزيز البا
Tue Feb 17 10:38:19 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:34:23 -0700
Eric Dorsey <dorseye at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Tutor:
> I've managed to install Python 2.6 on my Ubuntu VM from source,
> however, it looks as though I missed something important along the
> way. My 2.6 interpreter does not have readline support (example: I
> cant hit up arrow to repeat the last command) Is there a way to add
> this functionality now?
>
> Or alternative, if I just rebuild it, does anyone know the flag or
> verbage to get readline support in?
I think you need to recompile it again, this time make sure that
"libreadline5-dev" package is installed.

Hope that help.
Ziyad.