[Tutor] Looking for ConfigObj Documentation

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:19:21 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Wayne Watson
<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

>  I now have wxPython, IDLE and Vim installed. IDLE didn't disappear during
> the wx install.  It looks as though wxPython re-compiled library files. I'll
> be exploring vim now.

wxPython doesn't replace or remove anything - I still have IDLE on my
machine, I just don't use it.  The wxPython installer wasn't re-compiling
Python - it was using Python to compile its own scripts for use on your
machine.

Once again, to be clear: wxPython is an alternative to Tkinter, not to IDLE
- it's a different toolkit for creating GUI applications.
The upsides:
 - it's a good deal more sophisticated and powerful (I feel) than Tkinter,
and the apps you produce using it will look a lot more "native" (on Windows,
they'll look like Windows apps; on OS X they'll have the Apple look and
feel, etc.) and therefore more professional/less hobbyist-like.
 - the syntax of working with wxPython widgets feels more Pythonic (to me).
It's a matter of personal taste, but I tried Tkinter for a few days and
hated it; I tried wxPython and got hooked.
The downsides:
 - it's not part of Python proper, so it's an extra dependency (although
there's a great install-package creator called Gui2Exe that will bundle your
program along with Python and all other dependencies into a Windows-style
installer, so you can distribute just one file to your potential users.)
 - it's not part of Python proper, so most tutorials/Python books barely
mention its existence.  There's (1) excellent book, "wxPython in Action", a
couple of very active mailing lists, an excellent and gigantic demo program
with sample code for almost every widget, and Google.  Other than that,
you're on your own.
--
www.fsrtechnologies.com